But Tai Chi, a moving meditation, can help.
- You can read lots of scientific articles about meditation to convince yourself that it really works. For example Your Brain as Laboratory: The Science of Meditation shows how extensive the studies of mediation and the brain are. But reading about the science is not the same as meditating. We really need to forget all the science we know to relax our brains.
- You can join a class. Sometimes the group atmosphere is helpful. You are there and sit quietly because that is what is expected. But it is not always easy to find the right group or make it to the practice.
It is easy to find excuses – reasons not to slow down and relax, to feel peaceful. There is so much to do!
You need to find something that fits into your day, is fun, and makes you feel good so you can look forward to it.
- A moving meditation like Tai Chi is an easy way to start. Start with just 10 minutes. You don’t want to be overwhelmed or stressed about your inability to do it, fit it in, and feel good.
A few suggestions:
- Decide to start with 10 minutes – too much time can be stressful.
- Pick a time that you know works for you. Usually first thing in the morning is best. Especially when you realize that missing 10 minutes of sleep is OK if you are doing something energizing.
- Find a spot where you will not be disturbed
- Find a simple program to get you started that will talk you through the activity, so your mind doesn’t wander to other things that will need attention as soon as you finish.
- Set a timer so you don’t have to watch the time or wonder if you have gone too long. It could be peaceful music that plays for 10 minutes.
Imagine the Tai Chi elephant walking across the plains of Africa. Feel air and the breeze, smell the trees and bushes, notice the sunshine. It is easier than sitting still.
As I move like an elephant, with grace and direction, relaxing my whole body, my breathing slows down and my body begins to change. It is beautiful. It changes my whole day.
Imagine helping other friends and family, children and students find the peace of the walking elephant, too. With my simplified program of Tai Chi Moves, anyone can begin with just a few minutes a day.
Together we can change the world in a wonderful way. We all need it.